Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bunko, small paperback

Bunko, small paperback, Tokyo, Japan
What do you do on the train if you have to get on a train for commuting for a hour, as is very common in Tokyo? I would read some books, listening some music with iPod.

Many piles of A6 size, 105mm x 148mm, paperbacks, called Bunko in Japanese, are sold at bookstores in Japan and very popular among people commuting on trains. Such books will cost us USD 3 at least, USD 7 at most and more reasonable than the hardcover ones.

I believe that books are one of the best investment and that good food and reading make us health physically and mentally.

3 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Coltrane_lives said...

I love books and appreciate the information. I've not heard of books referred to as "bunko" but in English "bunco" refers to "swindling." Funny, isn't it!

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I commute for one hour and half, and I always do it with a rucksack on my back.

In it there are my Japanese course, books, and my Obento (lunch), and sometimes some unfinished origami model that I try to finish in the train and bus.

Probably, it is normal commute with books and music, but studying Japanese or finishing my origami models, they aren`t =O)). In any case, always is so funny to look at their astonished faces. =Op.

I will miss these things when I commute by car. =O(

Raquel

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the comments, coltrane and Raquel

coltrane,
I cannot stop laughing after I discovered the word, bunco, in the dictionary and knew its meaning!! I will never forget the word. You are very good English teacher! Thanks for making me laugh!! Have a nice day.

raquel,
You make origami on the train? Very nice idea! Perhaps you will be surprised to see that there are many sleeping people on the train for commuting in Tokyo but that they incredibly wake up just before the train is about to reach the station they will get off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home