Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Chocolat in Japan

Chocolat, Tokyo
February in Japan is the season of chocolat since women in Japan give some chocolat to their husband or boy friend on 14 Feb, Saint Valentine's Day.(Don't ask me why chocolat. I guess it is just for commercial reason.) In turn, men give back to their wife or girl friend some presents on 14 March, called White Day in Japan.(I don't know what is "white" at all and the day is, I guess, just made for department stores to make money.)

Now chocolat is getting popular because some TV or magazine reports that cacao is healthy. So chocolat with less sugar and much cacao is in vogue.

Expensive chocolat are also selling well now, especially the Belgian and French ones. One piece of chocolat on a break makes us feel relaxed.

By the way, it is said that confectioners making chocolat have colder hands than usual and it is about 26 to 27 degrees C. It is lower than the degree that chocolat melts, about 29 degrees C. As they make chocolat over and over again, do their hands turn to be cold naturally? I think that their hands are cold because they give all their affection and passion to chocolat when they are making it. So chocolat contains a lot of love and good for Valentine Day in Japan, I guess.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:48 AM, Blogger Dsole said...

Interesting post, Macky!
I didn't know about chocolat and 14th Feb and nothing about 14th March! I find it very nice... even now it's all about commercial aim, and that's a pity.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

I believe all that started by the campaign of chocolate company in Japan to sell their products. (I do not know when...) This seems to be only in Japan.
In NZ, it is opposite. Man gives their parter a wee present (or big). No 13/March though.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Fay said...

The last paragraph is very interesting. I remember in a Hong Kong serial there was this chef who had hands of lower temperature than usual, therefore he made better chocolate desserts. But I always thought it's just an exaggerated story. Is it true then?

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Smallworldtraveler said...

Interesting post. It so opposite from what they do here in the USA where men give the women gifts. So is the heart of a chocolate maker where the warmth beings?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home