Saturday, December 23, 2006

Yokan, one of Japanese sweets



This shop, Toraya, sells yokan. Yokan is a kind of Japanese sweets and comes from China. This is made of agar-agar, kanten in Japanese, sugar and some ingredients. The texture is a little harder than that of pudding and jelly. The taste is, roughly speaking, almost as sweet as that of chocolate cake. The sweet go well with Japanese green tea since this is rather sweet and green tea is bitter. Perhaps this sweet also may go well with extra sec sparking wine.

By the way, one of Japanese customs is Oseibo, sending presents to elder people in December. This yokan is popular items as a present.

4 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Yum! I fancy some of that.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

I think it has the consistency of a very strong jello and it's in the shape of flowers. I've seen it at Takashimaya here in NYC but never tasted it myself.

Thanks for the background on the item, Macky. I was curious how one would eat it.

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

The shop front of Tora-Ya stays same as I last visited(I lost count, it's a so many years ago).
It is a good old shop in Ginza. Thanks for the shot.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Yeah, Oshogatsu in a week! Give me some bitter tea to go with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home