Thursday, March 20, 2008

Traditional firefighters, Hikeshi, at Nihonbashi


Excuse me for poor quality!! I took the photo when I went to the office in the morning and came across traditional firefighters, called 'Hikeshi' in Japanese. In those days, Tokyo had tons of fires mainly because houses and buildings used to stand very close each other and they used to be made of wooden. So many firefighters used to keep their towns from fires. But now such traditional style of firefighters are replaced with the modern ones and I hardly come across them.

Their style is very traditional but seems to like Starbucks coffee!!

2 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Maki-san. The photo brings back memories of living in Japan 10 years ago..

Groups of these firefighters used to walk through our neighbourhood in Funabashi during the winter (kerosene heater time!) clacking wooden sticks together and chanting "Be careful with fire!"

I think for them it was an excuse for a walk together and then have a beer together afterwards! Your firefighters are more sober...

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

Well, I thought "matsuri" in the thumbnail. Wait... shouldn't be now... Well, are they for some attractions or for real? Nice one, Macky. I'm glad you had a camera.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home