Sunday, January 06, 2008

chimney of sento, public bath, against apartment houses

chimney of sento, public bath, against apartment houses, Tokyo
This chimney used to be higher than any houses around there but now lower than the apartment houses behind.

Most of us in Tokyo used to go to sento, public bath because we had no bath in houses. Now we usually live in a house with bath, so such public baths are less popular. But I personally like the bath since soaking and lounge in the big and hot bathtub after work make me feel very relax!!

Have a nice Sunday!!

4 Comments:

At 4:50 AM, Blogger Squirrel said...

it's nice to have the old chimney in the midst of all the modern buildings.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for the comment!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

Macky san, I am so happy to learn from your blog about Japan. I did not know that a 'sento' is a public bath. The other thing I learned is why Japanese people go to public baths. I never thought about it before.

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I am surprised to know that you have been to Kolkata and have taken a ride on the rickshaw there. I have not yet riden on that type of rickshaw. We used to have another type of jinrikishaw - a tricycle. Also, I am surprised to know that you also have shrines on wheels and ones that are carried on shoulder. We also have the type carried on shoulder usually when some temple festival takes place. India, being so huge, has many types of temple festivals. In some temple festivals, they have a "ratha yatra". A "ratha" is a chariot, or a cart. It is very huge) where hundreds of people pull it. The one at Puri is very famous. Maybe you have heard of it. If not, you can see some pictures here http://tinyurl.com/2d4stn

And here is a pic of the one that is carried on shoulder
http://picasaweb.google.com/samir425/BhagvadParayan/photo#5067814302060990738

Because of your comment, I learned two new words. Before, I only knew "omatsuri".

Thanks

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

Sorry, the second URL above got cut off due to length. Here is another one: http://tinyurl.com/2aoz2b

 

Post a Comment

<< Home