Thursday, January 04, 2007

Fukubukuro, sealed lucky bag




It was about 8 am in the morning on 2 January. People are waiting in line in front of department store to buy fuku-bukuro, sealed lucky bag. It is filled with random goods and are sold at reasonable price, about 50 percent off. People want to buy them partly because of a lavish event. Stores wanted to sell them mainly because they want to get rid of the excess merchandises. But if sellers put only unpopular items in lucky bag, people would not buy them. So sellers may mix better items with the unpopular things in the bags, I would think.

I have not bought the bag simply because I don't want to have unnecessary stuffs.

5 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, Blogger isa said...

Thanks for that interesting tidbit.
I am with you and don't want any unnecessary stuff (besides, it is like buying a cat in the bag;-)

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Sounds like a smart marketing campaign. But you are right. No need to buy things you don't need just because they are on sale.

Do other stores in Japan do this fuku-bukuro thing?

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

Stores are the same everywhere! :)

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhmmm, yes, I am also on your side, but I have a question, have all the stores this fukubukuro?, since for me will be very interesting a bag plenty of video games, mangas =OP, electronic and computer equipments, jejeje =OP. Ohhh, sorryy, I have just read that are unpopular things!!! =O)). what a pity =O(!!!

Ok, I stop kidding, =O) and now the inteligent question?.

Here in Spain, we have the month of "sales", after the day of Three Wise men, it will begin, so people can buy, with a different rappels of discounts clothes and other things. Don´t you believe it would be better this formula than sell many unnecessary things?

Un saludo,
Raquel

 
At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other day I bought one of these bags online from strapya.com, which sells a bunch of cellphone straps and other Japanese nicknacks. I'm really excited to get mine. I love surprises like this.

Plus, it really is worth the value. There are 20 items in the bag and supposedly they add up to $150 or more, and I only paid $34 for it. The straps are pretty expensive. The other day I had 4 in my cart that I was interested in buying, and it added up to $25!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home